Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cycles: a poem by Alisha Brown

The meteor is far away, but on a path to meet me.

I wait.

The anticipation feels mute, because I can not comprehend the time it will take or distance it must travel.


I could almost forget the waiting; forget anything is coming at all.

A light flashes.

I watch with excitement, as the promise is renewed.


What is the promise, and why am I eager to meet this calamity?

I Imagine.

The promise of destiny, collision, upheaval, and meaning mouths whispers into my ear.


It draws so close now; it is so bright I can not look directly at it.

I retreat.

Fear overwhelms me as I hear the thunderous roar of it slamming into the place where I stood.


I gasp for air and stare in amazement, seeing for the first time what I could only have imagined.

Mouth gapes.

A burning rock was all that it was, or ever promised to be.


The meteor is far away, but on a path to meet me.

I wait.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if this will resonate with you:

    Our deepest fear is not that we
    are inadequate. Our deep fear
    is that we are powerful
    beyond measure.
    -Marianne Williamson

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonates with me to my very core. It is the obligation and responsibility that comes with that knowing that strikes a fear in me like fearing nothing else.
    How is it that we can so greatly underestimate our own gifts unless it is by plan to be deprived of our power so that when we come to know it, we can also be responsible for it. What an enormous gift life is!

    That aside, I always feel like your thoughts speak directly to my experiences and love how you perceive and see yourself in the world. I am so very thankful for you.....

    Happy Valentines Day to you and yours.

    All my best
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete